Marine Weather Net

Point St. George to Point Arena between 60 and 150 NM Offshore Forecast


20 - 30


20 - 30


25 - 30


20 - 30

The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail:
PZZ820 Forecast Issued: 243 PM PDT Wed May 29 2024

Tonight...N Winds 20 To 30 Kt. Seas 6 To 10 Ft.
Thu...N Winds 20 To 30 Kt. Seas 7 To 12 Ft.
Thu Night...N Winds 25 To 30 Kt. Seas 8 To 13 Ft.
Fri...N Winds 20 To 30 Kt. Seas 7 To 12 Ft.
Fri Night...N To Nw Winds 15 To 25 Kt. Seas 6 To 11 Ft.
Sat...Nw Winds 15 To 25 Kt. Seas 5 To 9 Ft.
Sat Night...Nw Winds 10 To 20 Kt. Seas 3 To 5 Ft.
Sun...W To Nw Winds 5 To 15 Kt, Becoming W To Sw. Seas 4 To 5 Ft.
Sun Night...W To Sw Winds 10 To 15 Kt, Becoming 10 To 20 Kt. Seas 4 To 7 Ft.
Mon...W Winds 10 To 15 Kt, Becoming Nw. Seas 5 To 8 Ft.
Mon Night...N To Nw Winds 5 To 15 Kt, Becoming N 10 To 20 Kt. Seas 6 To 8 Ft.
SHARE THIS PAGE:           
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Eureka CA
253pm PDT Wednesday May 29 2024

A warming trend will continue through this week with the hottest inland valleys reaching the upper 90s by late this week. A regular cycle of stratus and gusty afternoon onshore flow will persist for the coast.

A ridge in the Northeast Pacific will continue to build into the region through the end of the week. This will bring hot temperatures back to the interior with NBM even showing a 25% chance of 95 degree highs in the very hottest valleys of Trinity County by Friday. Plenty of dry air has been ushered in with the building ridge which will continue to dry interior fuels through the weekend. Building high pressure will also support a usual cycle of nighttime marine stratus with gusty north winds pushing on shore and helping to mix out clouds each afternoon. Onshore winds will most likely be strongest this afternoon and evening with gusts upwards of around 35-40 mph around the coastal headlands in Del Norte and Northern Humboldt. Wind gusts on other parts of the coast are forecasted to be between 20-30 mph. This flow will flip throughout the night and be more offshore from the northeast on Thursday morning before gusting onshore again in the afternoon.

Ensemble clusters indicate that a troughing pattern may set up late in the weekend and into next week. The ECMWF (European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts) Extreme Forecast Index (EFI) indicates a decently high signal for more precipitation than average from Sunday and into Monday. This likely will have minimal impacts on the region with the National Blend of Models (NBM) indicating a 50 to 60 percent chance of wetting rain (>0.1 inches) for Del Norte County and a 20 to 40 percent chance in northern Humboldt County. However, details will become more clear as the models update and we get closer to the event.

An offshore ridge building into the region will tighten the inland thermal trough gradient and continue to enhance offshore winds this afternoon into Thursday. Gale conditions observed in the southern inner waters expected to build on already enhanced conditions in the southern waters before expanding north early Thursday. Rapid wind wave response expected Thursday afternoon into Friday, with wave heigheights forecasted to reach 13 feet at 10 seconds in the outer waters by early Friday. Model guidance anticipates a weak trough pattern developing this weekend, effectively inhibiting the expansion fans downwind of Port Orford and Cape Mendocino. Seas expected to quickly follow suit as a nearshore westerly swell traverses the waters.


Gale Warning until 9pm PDT Thursday for PZZ455.

Small Craft Advisory until midnight PDT tonight for PZZ470.

Gale Warning from midnight tonight to 10pm PDT Friday for PZZ470.

Small Craft Advisory until 5pm PDT this afternoon for PZZ475.

Gale Warning until 10pm PDT Friday for PZZ475.