Marine Weather Net

Point Piedras Blancas to Point Sal out 10 NM Marine Forecast


TODAY

NW
WINDS
10 - 15
KNOTS

TONIGHT

NW
WINDS
10 - 20
KNOTS

TUE

NW
WINDS
10 - 15
KNOTS

TUE NIGHT

NW
WINDS
10 - 20
KNOTS

The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail:
PZZ645 Forecast Issued: 310 AM PDT Mon May 27 2024

SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 3 AM PDT EARLY THIS MORNING
Today...Nw Wind 10 To 15 Kt, Becoming 10 To 20 Kt This Afternoon. Seas 4 To 5 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 3 Ft At 8 Seconds And S 2 Ft At 13 Seconds.
Tonight...Nw Wind 10 To 20 Kt, Becoming 5 To 10 Kt After Midnight. Seas 4 To 6 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 5 Ft At 8 Seconds, S 3 Ft At 12 Seconds And Nw 2 Ft At 13 Seconds. Patchy Fog.
Tue...Nw Wind 10 To 15 Kt, Becoming 10 To 20 Kt In The Afternoon. Seas 4 To 6 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 5 Ft At 7 Seconds And S 2 Ft At 12 Seconds. Patchy Fog.
Tue Night...Nw Wind 10 To 20 Kt. Seas 6 To 9 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 8 Ft At 8 Seconds, Sw 3 Ft At 13 Seconds And Nw 2 Ft At 13 Seconds. Patchy Fog In The Evening.
Wed...Nw Wind 15 To 20 Kt, Becoming 20 To 30 Kt. Seas 6 To 8 Ft, Building To 8 To 9 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 9 Ft At 8 Seconds And Sw 2 Ft At 15 Seconds.
Wed Night...Nw Wind 20 To 30 Kt, Becoming 15 To 20 Kt After Midnight. Seas 7 To 10 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 9 Ft At 9 Seconds And Sw 2 Ft At 16 Seconds. Patchy Fog After Midnight.
Thu...Nw Wind 10 To 15 Kt, Becoming 5 To 10 Kt After Midnight. Seas 6 To 9 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 8 Ft At 10 Seconds And Sw 2 Ft At 16 Seconds. Patchy Fog In The Morning.
Fri...Nw Wind 5 To 10 Kt. Seas 5 To 7 Ft. Wave Detail: Nw 7 Ft At 10 Seconds And S 2 Ft At 17 Seconds.
SHARE THIS PAGE:           
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Los Angeles/Oxnard CA
840am PDT Monday May 27 2024

Synopsis
27/839 AM.

The marine layer pattern will continue through Sunday. Varying amounts of night and morning low clouds and fog will affect the coast and valleys, otherwise mostly clear skies will prevail. Temperatures will be a few degrees below normal through Tuesday then warm to near normal to a few degrees above normal through the weekend. Breezy northwest to onshore winds will continue to be strongest each afternoon and evening for far interior areas and southwest Santa Barbara County.

Short Term - Today through Wednesday
...27/834 AM.

***UPDATE***

The marine inversion early this morning ranged from around 1900 ft deep at VBG to around 2100 ft deep at LAX. Low clouds covered much of the coast and vlys of L.A. County (except the Santa Clarita Vly), the VTU County coast, the SBA County S coast, the Central Coast and Santa Ynez Vly. The low clouds are expected to clear back to or off the coast by early this afternoon, with Catalina Island probably remaining mostly cloudy thru the day. Otherwise and elsewhere, mostly sunny skies will prevail thru this afternoon.

Temps today are forecast to turn a few degrees warmer than yesterday, but still remain several degrees below seasonal norms for most areas. However, for the interior vlys and deserts, temps should turn out to be near normal to a couple of degrees warmer than normal. Afternoon highs for the inland coast, vlys and lower mtns should reach the 70s to near 80, except lower 80s in the SLO/SBA County interior vlys, and mid 80s to around 90 for the Antelope Vly.

Strong onshore pressure gradients will help to bring breezy to gusty SW-NW winds to much of the area, especially this afternoon. The strongest winds, but still below Advisory levels, are expected in the Antelope Vly into the foothills.

***From Previous Discussion***

Forecast thougheights remain relatively unchanged. Building 500 mb heigheights will lead to a warm up through Tuesday with unabated onshore flow and marine layer presence limiting the warm up near the coast. Forecast confidence of low cloud coverage remains low today, but the low cloud pattern should become more persistent and therefore easier to forecast by Tuesday thanks to the warming trends above the marine layer, establishing a stronger inversion. Daytime highs only in the 60s will prevail nearest the coast, inland coastal areas and valleys will peak in the 70s to low 80s, with 80s to near 90 for the far interior.

Breezy northwest to onshore winds will continue through this period. An inside slider trough will likely enhance winds across the region by Wednesday with a 30-50 percent chance of reaching advisory levels at times Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday night across the Antelope Valley, I-5 corridor through the mountains, and southwest Santa Barbara County. Offshore trends to the south will likely support morning clearing of low clouds and fog. Some south facing coasts, most notably the Santa Barbara South Coast, will likely be mostly sunny by Wednesday. The uptick of northwest winds may support a stronger Catalina Eddy Wednesday or Thursday, which could send low clouds and fog as far inland as the lower mountain slopes. Should this occur, daytime highs would be closer to 75 as opposed to the currently advertised 80 for coastal valleys of Los Angeles and Ventura Counties.

Long Term - Thursday through Sunday
27/322 AM.

High forecast confidence for Thursday through the weekend mainly subtle day-to-day changes with typical late May weather on tap. Night to morning lows clouds and fog will continue for coasts and many coastal valleys. Low clouds and fog should burn off mid to late morning for most areas especially Friday into next weekend. Daytime highs will likely be mid 60s to mid 70s for most coastal areas, mid 70s to mid 80s for coastal valleys, and 80s to near 90 for the far interior. Breezy northwest to onshore flow will continue unabated, peaking each afternoon to evening, with a 10-20 percent chance of reaching advisory levels for the Antelope Valley and southwest Santa Barbara County.

Marine
27/254 AM.

Moderate to high confidence in forecast.

Across the outer waters, lower confidence in forecast this morning as winds and seas are still near Small Craft Advisory (SCA) levels. While winds are expected to drop off this morning, seas are still choppy with short periods, so decided to extend the advisory. Winds are likely to restrengthen to SCA (Small Craft Advisory) levels this afternoon and continue through Thursday. There is a 20-30% chance (highest for the northern waters) of Gale Force winds Tuesday afternoon and night. Then for all the outer waters there is a 50-60% chance of Gales Wednesday afternoon through night. On Tuesday, seas will build to SCA (Small Craft Advisory) levels and remain steep and choppy through at least Thursday night.

Across the nearshore waters along the Central Coast, there is a 20-30% chance of SCA (Small Craft Advisory) winds this afternoon and evening. Tuesday afternoon through Wednesday night, SCA (Small Craft Advisory) level winds and seas are likely (60-70%), with a 15-25% chance of Gale Force winds Wednesday afternoon/evening. SCA (Small Craft Advisory) seas may linger as late as Thursday night.

Across the southern inner waters, there is a 30% chance of SCA (Small Craft Advisory) level winds across the western portion of the Santa Barbara Channel this afternoon and evening increasing to 30-40% chance Tuesday afternoon and evening. On Wednesday, there is a 60-70% chance of SCA (Small Craft Advisory) winds across the western portion of the Channel, with a 20-30% chance of Gale Force winds. South of the Channel Islands, winds are expected to remain below SCA (Small Craft Advisory) levels through at least Thursday.

NOAA Los Angeles/Oxnard CA Office: Watches - Warnings - Advisories
CA...NONE. PZ...Small Craft Advisory in effect until 3am PDT Tuesday for zones 670-673-676.