Marine Weather Net

Point St. George to Cape Mendocino CA out 10 NM Marine Forecast









The Marine Weather Forecast In Detail:
PZZ450 Forecast Issued: 843 AM PDT Wed Jul 06 2022

Today...Sw Winds 5 Kt. Waves W 3 Ft At 10 Seconds.
Tonight...Nw Winds 5 Kt. Waves W 3 Ft At 10 Seconds.
Thu...Nw Winds 5 Kt. Waves W 3 Ft At 9 Seconds.
Thu Night...N Winds 5 Kt. Waves W 3 Ft At 10 Seconds.
Fri...N Winds 5 Kt. Waves W 3 Ft At 10 Seconds.
Sat...N Winds 5 To 10 Kt. Waves N 3 Ft At 4 Seconds...And W 2 Ft At 9 Seconds.
Sun...N Winds 5 To 15 Kt. Waves N 6 Ft At 7 Seconds.
SHARE THIS PAGE:           
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Eureka CA
217am PDT Wednesday July 6 2022

Conditions will gradually warm and dry through the week with interior valleys returning to the upper 80s by Friday. Drizzle will lift away from the coast today with marine stratus becoming more diurnally driven late in the week.

Excepting some isolated light drizzle, precipitation has largely left the area. Over the past 48 hours, much of the area north of Cape Mendocino has received 0.5 inches or more of rain. Even most of Mendocino, which had much more sporadic rain, generally received at least 0.1 inches. These amounts are highly unusual for July and easily broke some daily rainfall records. While rain has ended, light southerly winds have persisted keeping dewpoints relatively high in the upper 50s. This moisture alongside very little onshore wind has lead to unusually muggy conditions along the coast.

A subtle shortwave late tonight could bring another burst of patchy marine drizzle with soundings showing some instability in the marine layer. Coverage, however, would be restrained to the immediate coast with minimal accumulation expected. As high pressure begins to build over the Pacific, northwesterly winds will return to the coast on Thursday, bringing an end to tropical mugginess. With warmer air aloft, the marine layer will shallow. This will allow for stronger diurnal influence, likely allowing for some afternoon clearing by Friday. As the interior warms, stronger northwest winds should keep the coast cool in the 60s. Heading into the weekend, some high resolution models are hinting at offshore winds which could further clear out the coast and raise highs into the 70s. The exact strength and extent of this scenario is highly uncertain.

All cluster ensemble members show the upper level trough currently over the eastern Pacific gradually weakening and drifting northeast through the rest of the week. This will bring a slow but steady warming trend for the interior. Still, temperatures are expected to stay at or below average with even the hottest interior valleys only reaching the upper 80s by Friday. Valley fog can be expected in near coastal river valleys , but will probably start to dry out by Thursday. About 70% of cluster ensemble members show ridging this weekend centered over the Pacific Northwest, which could bring a minor heat wave into the the triple digits for the usual hot interior valleys Sunday. The other 30% of ensemble members push the ridge further east which would limit temperatures into the 90s. In either case, the ridge appears short lived with most members pointing to yet another moist trough mid next week. /JHW

A lack of offshore surface pressure features combined with a relatively cool airmass penetrating well inland will yield weak winds and low seas through Friday. Interior temperatures will then warm up over the weekend into early next week, and that will aid in strengthening northerly winds across the coastal waters...with small craft speeds probable, and gales possible...particularly during Sunday.